|Port Vila Vanuatu | Port Vila Resorts | Worawia Resort|
|Page: Erromango Island - Famous for its Sandalwood hardwood|
Erromango is one of the larger islands, sparsely populated, mountainous, rugged and mainly forested. Like Aneityum, it once supported a large population (up to 10,000) as a base for Sandalwood and Kauri traders. Some majestic 1000-year old Kauri trees still stand.
It was heavily exploited for its Sandalwood and the local population suffered at the hands of infamous Blackbirders – they captured islanders and took them to work on Fijian and Australian sugar plantations. Even nowadays Malayan logging companies exploit the island’s hardwoods, although the local communities have been effective in resisting unsustainable logging practices. With assistance from the European Union, a Kauri Reserve is being established on the island, to protect Kauri and other tropical hardwoods.
|Vanuatu Islands Info|
|• Major Islands of
Vanuatu - Discovering six of the best known islands in Vanuatu archipelago.
• Ambae Island - Legendary Bali Hai island
• Ambrym Island - Home to two volcanoes
• Efate Island - Vanuatu's administrative island, home to its capital Port Vila.
• Epi Island - Small island with two volcanoes
• Erromango Island - Exploited for its Sandalwood
• Pele Island - Home to popular Pele Island Tour
• Pentecost Island - Famous for its annual land diving ceremony, unique to Vanuatu.
• Santo Island - Known as Espiritua Santo Island, this is the largest island in Vanuatu.